Posted on: 5 March 2016
If you live in an area where there are a lot of minerals in the water or if you use a well for your water supply, you may be considering adding a water softener and softener salt delivery for your home. While such a system does represent an additional cost, there are a number of good reasons to invest in a water softener.
1. Your dishes and glassware will be shinier. Soft water is gentler on your tableware and doesn't leave the tell-tale spots that so-called "hard" water can leave. This is especially true if you use a dishwasher and don't towel dry your dishes.
2. Your skin and hair will feel softer. Soft water is also gentler on your body and your hair. No amount of hand lotion or hair conditioner can make up for the drying effect of hard water. Soft water also makes it easy to lather your hand soap and shampoo, allowing you to get the same results with less product.
3. Your hot water tank will last longer. All of those minerals in hard water can shorten the lifespan of your hot water tank. What's more, mineral deposits will eventually cause the base of your tank to corrode--a situation that can lead to messy leaks.
4. Other appliances will last longer, too. It's not just your water tank that will last longer, any of your appliances that use water will also have a longer lifespan. This includes your dishwasher, the ice maker on your refrigerator, and your washing machine.
5. You'll get hot water more quickly. A water softener also improves the efficiency of your water heating system. According to Do It Yourself, since hard water has minerals, they can affect the boiling point of the water and since they precipitate out, the bulidup of scale could actually increase your utility bill costs!
6. You'll reduce the scaly build-up in your plumbing system. When you use hard water, the minerals in the water will eventually accumulate on the inside of your pipes, restricting the water flow, reducing the water pressure at your taps and potentially causing a pipe to burst.
While a water softener isn't necessarily the right choice for every household, investing in such a system will help you and your tableware to look nicer, help extend the life of your hot water tank and other appliances, and keep your household water flowing smoothly.Share